Annotated Artwork for “Engines of Liberty: SUICIDE RUN.”

This is part two of a series. The rundown of the REBEL HEART illustrations can be found here. Should help you get an idea of how much I improved between books 1 and 2.

 

sh1

This is when I started inking (I did it to the RH artwork long after the fact.) It helped everything stand out in a starker contrast, which was good, but the weakspots were still obvious. Kalfu’s dreadlocks, for example. I don’t think outlining each one was the right move. The lighting on the folds of his cloak wasn’t perfect, and neither were his boots (a weakness of mine.)

sh2

Another piece where I didn’t immediately grasp the right use of the ink, namely with the smoke and dust surrounding Kalfu. Godfrey’s robes are too straight and lack detail as well.

 

sh3

Boots, mostly. Also I focused too much on the individual folds and wrinkles in Calvin’s coat, instead of shading it on a large scale.

sh4

Perspective was tricky here. There eyes aren’t all aimed right. I still think I made the right call with the folks in the background, though. I didn’t want their details to overwhelm the foreground.

sh5

Pretty pleased with this one, just shading and stuff.

sh6

Changing the reference model for Amelia made drawing her a lot easier. Still, I should have shaded the front of her shirt a little more, but I was still using graphite to shade this stuff.

sh7

I think the shape of the boots could have better complimented her legs from the knees down. Skirt shading was relegated to the edges, instead of working into the folds.

sh8

I picked the right places to shade on the gryphon mimic, but not the right range of value. The wings are too dark and the neck and landing gear are too light. They would all be the same color, for camo. Also, graphite was less effective for rendering the complexions of the black characters, in this picture, Adam and Hank. (I switched to charcoal for book 3.)

sh9

Could have taken more time on the shading and the folds of their coats. With the shading I didn’t focus enough on the angle of the light.

sh10

Too dark in the back and bright up front. I might have re-done this one, too.

sh11

Boot laces are my only complaint.

sh12

Shading, light angles, the usual.

sh13

Shading on his robes, especially near the hem.

sh14ash14b

I re-did this one, the original version was really, really terrible. I’m immensely pleased with this.

sh15ash15b

Light angle, shading, and I would detail the rocks and ground more, instead of using broad strokes to fill them in. Not enough going on in the sky, either.

sh16

Body proportions are off. Upper chest too broad, arms too small.

sh17

Shading for the base of the chair, and Hamilton’s clothes. I would probably detail Hamilton’s face better, too.

sh18

I wouldn’t render all of the text digitally, just some of it. It was important that a lot of it look handwritten, but some of it could have been done in a program.

sh19

Shading on the boots, put a shadow under him. And I would re do his face. It doesn’t look like Hank.

sh20

Shading on their coveralls.

sh21

Shading, and the angle of Avery’s face (right.)

sh22

Shading, boots too big, and Lyla’s poise seems awkward next to Edsel’s.

sh23

Face too dark, among other usual stuff.

sh24

This was when I started to realize I needed models for poses.

sh25

I would crisp up the details on the tail feathers.

sh26

Detail the trees better in the background, they detract from the details I like in the foreground.

sh27

The shading is way off, the position of his legs is super weird, and he doesn’t look like J. Scott Savage, as he should.

sh28

Again, posing, this time for the arms. I needed a model. Also his mouth is weird.

sh29

Pretty pleased with Edith.

sh30

Right hand position, too much face shade.

sh31

I wouldn’t have used the ink for the tattoos, it makes them too stark, they should blend better with the color of Thierry’s flesh.

sh32

Sufficient for the purpose it served.

sh33

Yeah, I would re-do this entirely.

sh34

Pleased.

sh35

Not enough detail on the ground, and I shaded the three recruiters as if they were closer to the screen, i.e., I should have used broader strokes to give the “suggestion” that they were there.

sh36

Leg armor, robes from the waist down, and the scales on the reptiles. All need improvement.

sh37

Same as before with Kalfu: gotta figure out how to detail smoke and dust better.

sh38

I would have changed the angle of Yahola’s prosthetic.

sh39

Blah. Godfrey looks like a bad Super Mario cartoon. I could have done a much better pose with a model (which I now have, forgot to mention that.)

sh40

Hard to draw this in the dark. Too much to list, but it mostly boils down to light values, textures, and angles.

sh41

Proud of this one.

sh42

The post of her boots coupled with the messiness of her hair makes her look a little too “come hither” and that’s not in keeping with her character. So I’d change that, mostly.

sh43

Not how this one looked in my head, but I wasn’t drawing it big enough. I would re-do it now.

sh45

Calvin’s face looks weird but he did just get in a huge fight. I’d focus more on correcting his arm angle.

sh46

Mostly Godfrey’s face, and the map behind him. I’d probably put more debris on the floor and so forth.

 

So that’s it. I got better at some things but was still weak in others. Next week I’ll post the PATRIOT’S GAME art and you’ll see a lot of things that got better once I changed materials.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s